For language learners, look below for key terms and comprehension questions.Please answer the discussion questions in the comments section.
Japanese history spans either 14,000 years, or 1700 years depending on how you look at it.This is a quick overview that examines themes such as
1) the ethnic make-up of Japanese people
2) Chinese influence on the country
3) cultural development
4) impact of war
The Jomon Period 3:32
The Yayoi Period 5:15
The Heian Period 11:45
The Edo Period 14:03
The Meiji Period 16:55
The Showa Period 22:11
rice paddy farming
1. Is Jomon pottery older than Chinese pottery?
2. What is the ethnic make-up of the Yayoi people?
3. Name two reasons why the Edo Period is popular with Japanese people.
4. Which countries / territories did Meiji Japan invade?
5. What did Japan build just before the 1964 Tokyo Olympics?
1. Why do you think Jomon culture survived for so long? Do you agree with the presenter's view that it lived in harmony with nature?
2. What is the significance of a woman having written Japan's most famous story, The Tale of Genji?
(Please be civil and polite while answering questions 3 & 4)
3. After 250 years of a closed-door policy, why did Japan invade its neighbors in the Meiji Period?
4. What were the motivations behind Japan's imperial policy during the early Showa Period?
music: Shoukichi Kina, "Jing Jing"
Created and presented by Michael Henshaw